In line with a constant interest in promoting the welfare and prosperity of a better world for all, the Medplaya Hotel Regente in Benidorm has just signed a cooperation agreement with UNICEF and adhere to its program ‘Hoteles Amigos’ (Friend Hotels).
Hoteles Amigos is an initiative of UNICEF Spain with the tourism industry for the protection and defense of the rights of children, and in particular for the fight against the commercial sexual exploitation of children in travel.
Every time a Guest books the stay at the Hotel Regente directly with the Hotel or through the website of the Medplaya Hotels chain (www.medplaya.es) the customer will have the opportunity to give an extra euro when paying their invoice which will be donated to UNICEF. All of the collected euros will be entirely aimed at the cause of UNICEF for the protection and defense of children.
Logically, anyone else who is not staying at the Regente, and even workers can participate in the program and donate.
On what is the money spent?
To create an environment of security, of protection for children. It also aims at encouraging schooling, promoting laws that punish those who exploit children, the commitment of Governments, stimulating that families and communities where children live are informed of the rinks and adopt a responsive attitude.
Some shocking figures
- 1.8 millon children are exploited in the comercial sexual industry.
- It is estimated that 1.2 million boys and girls are victims of children trafficking every year.
- Between 500 and 1,500 million children are victims of violence.
- An estimated 3 million girls face some type of genital mutilation/cutting around the world each year, and over 140 million girls and women have already been subjected to this practice.
- It is estimated that more than 1 billion children live in territories affected by armed conflict. 250,000 children are fighting in armed conflicts.
Achievements of UNICEF
In 2010 the reintegration of 28.000 children affected by armed conflicts was achieved, as well as of 11.400 minors of age associated with armed forces.
Help us to help. Let’s eradicate the commercial sexual exploitation of children in travel together.